Since 1982 a bronze medal and a cash prize have been awarded annually by the ISRM for an outstanding doctoral thesis in Rock Mechanics or Rock Engineering, to honour the memory of Past President Manuel Rocha while stimulating young researchers.
An invitation has been extended to the Rock Mechanics community, and especially to Faculty members, for nominations for the Rocha Medal 2010. Full details on the Rocha Medal are provided in ISRM By-law No. 7.
To be considered for an award the candidate must be nominated within two years of the date of the official doctorate degree certification.
Nomination shall be by the nominee, or by the nominee´s National Group, or by some other person or organization acquainted with the nominee´s work.
Nominations shall be addressed to the Secretary General and shall contain:
• a one page curriculum vitae, which is to include the name, nationality, place and date of birth of the nominee, together with position held, postal address, telephone number and electronic mail address;
• a written confirmation by the candidate's National Group that he is a member of the ISRM;
• a thesis summary in paper and digital formats, written in English, of about 5,000 words, detailed enough to convey the full impact of the thesis and accompanied by selected tables and figures, with headings and captions also presented in English;
• one copy of the complete thesis and one copy of the doctorate degree certificate;
• a letter of copyright release, allowing the ISRM to copy the thesis for purposes of review and selection only;
• an undertaking by the nominee to submit an article describing the work, for publication in the ISRM News Journal, to be submitted at least one month before the Award Ceremony.
The nomination shall be sent electronically or by registered mail to be received by the ISRM Secretary General not later than 31 December 2008.