6th Asian Rock Mechanics Symposium
“Advances in Rock Engineering”
23-27 October, 2010, New Delhi
Indian National Group of International Society for Rock Mechanics (ISRM) hosted the ISRM International Symposium 2010 and the 6th Asian Rock Mechanics Symposium in New Delhi during 23-27 October 2010 , jointly with the Central Board of Irrigation & Power, which houses the Secretariat of the Indian National Group of ISRM.
There was an overwhelming response from the Rock Mechanics Community for the Symposium. More than 150 papers from 27 countries were presented scheduled for during the Symposium as oral/poster presentations.
Sessions on “Underground and Opencast Mining” were also held wherein more than 25 papers from Australia, Canada, China, France, India, Iran, Japan, Singapore, South Korea and USA were presented.
275 delegates from 35 countries participated in the Symposium.
Keynote Lectures by renowned experts on each day of the Symposium were especially held so that participants get an opportunity to interact with internationally known personalities in the field of Rock Engineering. Following keynote speakers made the presentations:
- Dr. Shinichi Akutagawa, Kobe University, Japan - On Site Visualization as a New Paradigm for Field Measurement in Rock Engineering
- Prof. Giovanni Barla, Politechnico di Tornio, Italy - Progress in the Understanding of Deep-Seated Landslides from Massive Rock Slope Failure
- Prof. Maurice Dusseault, University of Waterloo, Canada - Deep Injection Disposal: Environmental and Petroleum Geomechanics
- Dr. C. Erichsen, WBI, Germany - Challenges in the Design and Construction of Tunnels in Jointed Rock
- Prof. Xia-Ting Feng, Institute of Rock and Soil Mechanics, China and ISRM Vice President at Large - Application of Intelligent Rock Mechanics Methodology to Rock Engineering
- Prof. Yossef H. Hatzor, Ben-Gurion University of Neger, Israel - Modelling Dynamic Deformation in Natural Rock Slopes and Underground Openings with Numerical DDA Method
- Dr. John A. Hudson, Imperial College, UK and President, ISRM - Underground Radioactive Waste Disposal -- The Rock Mechanics Contribution
- Prof. Guowei Ma and Prof. Yingxin Zhou, Singapore - Rock Dynamics Research in Singapore: Fundamentals and Practices
- Dr. John Read, CSIRO LOP Project, Australia – The Large Open Pit Project
- Prof. Herb Wang, University of Wisconsin, USA – Deep Underground Instrumentation and Monitoring
In addition, the following Pre-Symposium Short Courses/Workshops were also organized on 23 and 24 October 2010:
- Two Days’ Workshop on “Use of TBM/Road Header in Underground Works – Issues and Challenges”
- Short Course on “Carbon Sequestration in Sedimentary Basins”
- Workshop on “Rock Mechanics Methods and Tools for Mining Applications”
An exhibition, having 22 stalls, and exhibiting the products/services by renowned companies, was organised as a technology showcase to meet the challenges of rock formations in various engineering activities in the field of Water and Energy Resources, Mining, Roads, Underground Works, etc.
In accordance with the traditions, following papers were selected for the ARMS Awards:
- ARMS Outstanding Paper Award for Young Scientist and Engineer was awarded to Mr. Tanapol Sriapai from Suranaree University of Technology, Thailand for his paper titled “Polyaxial Strengths of Maha Sarakham Salt”. The paper was co-authored with Dr. Kittitep Fuenkajorn, Associate Professor at the Suranaree University of Technology
- ARMS Outstanding Paper Award was awarded to Dr. (Ms.) Gali Madhavi Latha from Indian Institute of Science for her paper titled “Prediction of Stress-Strain Response of Jointed Rocks using Artificial Neural Networks”. The paper was co-authored with Dr. (Ms.) Arunakumari Garaga, presently Senior Engineer at Nauvata Engineering, Bangalore.
|Prof. Maurice Dusseault from University of Waterloo, Canada making presentations during Short Course on “Carbon Sequestration in Sedimentary Basins” on 23 October 2010||All attentive participants during the Workshop on “Rock Mechanics Methods and Tools for Mining Applications” |
|Prof. Hani Mitri from McGill University, Canada, making a presentation during the Workshop on “Rock Mechanics Methods and Tools for Mining Applications” on 24 October 2010||Inauguration of the 6th Asian Rock Mechanics Symposium by Mr. Gurdial Singh, Chairperson, Central Electricity Authority and President, Central Board of Irrigation & Power. Other dignitaries on the dais (L to R) are Prof. John A. Hudson, President, ISRM, Prof. Abdolhadi Ghazvinian, Vice President (Asia), ISRM, Dr. K.G. Sharma, President, Indian National Group of ISRM and Mr. V.K. Kanjlia, Member Secretary, Indian National Group of ISRM|
|Technical Session in Progress||Prof. Giovanni Barla from Politechnico di Tornio, Italy presenting Keynote Address|
|Inauguration of the Workshop on “Use of TBM/Road Header in Underground Works – Issues and Challenges” by Mr. H.K. Sharma, Chairman & Managing Director, SJVN Limited on 23 October 2010. Other dignitaries on the dais (L to R) are Mr. V.K. Kanjlia, Secretary, Central Board of Irrigation & Power, Mr. V.K. Gupta, Executive Director, NTPC Limited and Mr. A.C. Gupta, Director, Central Board of Irrigation & Power||A view of the Exhibition Area|
|Release of Manual on Rock Mechanics||Presentation by Rocha Medal Winner – Dr. Jan Christer Andersson from Sweden|
|ARMS Outstanding Paper Award recipient Dr. (Ms.) Gali Madhavi Latha from Indian Institute of Science||ARMS Outstanding Paper Award for Young Scientist and Engineer recipient Mr. Tanapol Sriapai from Suranaree University of Technology, Thailand|
|A view of Cultural Evening on 26 October 2010|