The keynote lectures presented at the symposium were:
1. Forensic Engineering for Underground Construction, Prof. E. T. BROWN AC
2. Rock mechanics considerations for deep tunnelling in brittle rock, Prof. Peter KAISER
3. Rock mechanics and excavation by tunnel boring machine – issues and challenges, Prof. Jian ZHAO
4. Development and application of discontinuous deformation analysis (DDA) for rock engineering, Prof. Yuzo OHNISHI
5. Rock mechanics at great depths and coal mine disaster control in China, Prof. Manchao HE
6. The role of on-site engineering in underground projects, Prof. Wulf SCHUBERT
7. Thermo-mechanical behavior of rock masses around underground LNG storage cavern, Dr So-Keul CHUNG.
With good “insight” by the Organising Committee, the opening keynote speaker, Prof. E.T. Brown, was the happy winner of the 2007 Müller Award. At the same keynote session, Dr Daniel ASK of Sweden made his Rocha Medal Presentation, entitled “Strategy for In-Situ Rock Stress Measurements”, based on his award winning PhD thesis.