ISRM Regional Symposium Eurock 2004 & 53rd Geomechanics Colloquy
Salzburg, Austria, October 2004
The Austrian Society for Geomechanics hosted the EUROCK 2004 Conference in conjunction with the traditional Geomechanics Colloquy at the Salzburg Congress Center in Salzburg, Austria from October 6th to October 8th, 2004.
Seven sessions were organised with following topics:
• Consistent Methods for the Geomechanical Desing of Underground Structures
• Support Methods ahead of the Tunnel Face – Function and Application
• Geotechnical Monitoring of Engineering Structures
• Rehabilitation and Upgrading of Underground Structures
• Determination of Rock Mass Properties
• Rock Excavation
• Numerical Modelling– Continuum versus Discontinuum Models
In the sessions a total of 67 oral presentations were given. A number of posters was presented. The proceedings were published (Editor: W. Schubert, 800 pages, ISBN 3-7739-5995-8).
A record number of 937 participants from 31 countries could be welcomed at the Conference.
A technical exhibition with 37 exhibitors accompanied the conference.
The technical tour led to a high speed railway tunnel (Tunnel Vomp) in Tyrol.
The social programme contained a welcome cocktail on October 5th, a Chamber Concert, and a Gala Buffet Dinner in the Salzburg Residence on October 6th.
The accompanying persons program included visits to the Wolfgangsee, a lake close to Salzburg, famous from the movie “Sound of Music”, a guided city tour in Salzburg, and a visit to the Swarovski Crystal World in Tyrol.